APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate for Osun governorship election

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Electric Atmosphere As Bukola Saraki Returns Home To Ilorin

Senate President Bukola Saraki was given a rousing welcome in Ilorin, Kwara State as embarks on a courtesy visit.

#BBNaija Winner, Miracle Receives $25,000 Cash Gift From Gov. Okorocha In Owerri (Photos)

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Kwara gov. seeks tenure extension for Offa council chairman, councillors

Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara on Tuesday requested the State House of Assembly to approve the extension of the tenure of the Chairman and councillors of Offa Local Government Council.

Sport News

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry is quitting his job as a pundit for Sky Sports in order to focus on a career in management.

Friday, May 8, 2020

WHO admits Wuhan market played role in outbreak of coronavirus

The World Health Organisation, WHO, has revealed that the wholesale market in the central Chinese city of Wuhan played a role in the outbreak of the coronavirus in December, 2019.

Dr. Peter Ben Embarek, a WHO expert on food safety and zoonotic viruses speaking at a Geneva news briefing said that investigations are ongoing to know the exact role played Wuhan played in the outbreak of COVID-19.

“Chinese government closed the Wuhan market in January as part of efforts to curb the spread of the virus and ordered a temporary ban on trade and consumption of wildlife.

“The market played a role in the event, that’s clear.

“But what role we don’t know, whether it was the source or amplifying setting or just a coincidence that some cases were detected in and around that market.”

He, however said it is unclear whether live animals or infected vendors or shoppers brought the virus into the market.

DAILY POST recalls that U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, said there was enormous evidence to show that COVID-19 came from the Wuhan laboratory.

However, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Hua Chunying, debunked the claim that that the coronavirus originated in a lab in Wuhan.

Source:

Share:

Youtube Tweaks ‘Video Watch’ Page On Mobile, Gets New Features

youtube

YouTube’s video watch page on mobile has received a facelift.

The new design comes after Google announced that both Android and iOS apps will receive theates soon.

One of the latest updates that man users will notice is the positioning of the comment box.

Mobile users of the app can now view and post comments by tapping on the comment box just underneath the channel bar with subscribe button – unlike before where users had to scroll down to the very end of the video page to post or view comments.

With the update, the comment bar on any video page is now prominently visible to both Android and iOS users of the YouTube app.

Google, in a blog post last month said that the tech company found that more people were “writing comments with the new design.” Even more, Google has introduced larger thumbnails in the “Up next” feed, noting that users will “see more info about each video at a glance.”

“You’ll also notice channel icons below each video to help you recognise your favourite creators while you scroll through the feed,” the company said while explaining the YouTube update.

Lastly, Google in April had said that the YouTube Android and iOS app will display “new types” of content alongside the videos in Up Next feed of a video page.

These include “Community Posts, “YouTube Mixes”, and more. This feature has also been added to the video-sharing platform.

Meanwhile, there’s also a new ‘Explore tab’ in the YouTube Music app waiting to help users discover more songs. It also allows users get song lyrics such that they can sing along to their favourite songs.

According to Google, the update is “now available” for both Android and iOS users of the app.

Share:

Senate President Condoles With President Buhari Over Nephew’s Death

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has condoled with President Muhammadu Buhari over the death of his nephew, Alhaji Mutari Dauda.

Lawan also commiserated with Malam Mamman Daura over the passing of Mutari, who was his younger brother.

The Senate President said he shared in the grief of the entire Daura community, Government and people of Katsina state over the loss.

Lawan said death is the inevitable end of every life and no one but the Almighty Allah has control over when and how it comes.

He prayed that Allah will give the family the fortitude to bear the loss, forgive the sins of the departed and accept his soul into Aljanah firdausi.

Share:

Nigeria Records 386 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Infections Now 3,912

A graphic created by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on May 8, 2020, showing COVID-19 statistics for the country.

The Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC), has confirmed 386 new COVID-19 cases in the country, taking Nigeria’s total cases to 3,912.

This is the highest number of new cases recorded in a day.

Of the 386, the NCDC said in a tweet, 176 were reported in Lagos, 65 in Kano, 31 in Katsina, 20 in the FCT, and 17 in Borno.

The NCDC also noted that 679 of the 3,912 cases have been successfully treated and discharged, while 117 cases have resulted in deaths.

Earlier on Friday, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, said that isolation and treatment centres in the country are running out of bed spaces.

“We have received reports from the states, which suggests that the treatment centres are running out of bed spaces,” Mustapha, who is also the Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, said.

“As we assess the situation, the PTF shall also begin to examine our peculiar circumstances, modify the strategies for care management, and consider viable alternatives, where necessary. At the appropriate time, the guidelines and protocols shall be unfolded.”

The novel coronavirus has killed at least 271,780 people since the outbreak first emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP at 1900 GMT on Friday.

More than 3,896,790 cases were registered in 195 countries and territories. Of these, at least 1,268,000 are now considered recovered.

The tallies, using data collected by AFP from national authorities and information from the World Health Organization (WHO), probably reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections.

Many countries are testing only the most serious cases.

Since Thursday at 1900 GMT, there have been 4,862 new deaths and 90,352 new infections recorded worldwide.

The United States recorded the highest number of new deaths with 1,257, followed by Britain with 626 and Brazil with 610.

The US also has the highest number of total deaths with 76,101 out of 1,271,775 cases. At least 195,036 have been declared recovered.

Britain now has the second-highest toll with 31,241 deaths from 211,364 cases.

It is followed by Italy with 30,201 deaths and 217,185 cases, Spain with 26,299 fatalities and 222,857 infections and France with 26,230 deaths and 174,791 cases — although French authorities did not update the country’s number of infections on Friday.

The country with the highest number of deaths compared to its population is Belgium, with 74 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, followed by Spain with 56, Italy 50, Britain 46 and France 40.

China — excluding Hong Kong and Macau — has to date declared 4,633 deaths and 82,886 cases. It has 77,993 recovered cases.

Europe has a total of 153,690 deaths from 1,681,558 cases, the United States and Canada have 80,754 deaths and 1,338,087 cases, Latin America and the Caribbean have 17,520 deaths and 324,309 cases, Asia has 10,163 deaths and 277,011 cases, the Middle East has 7,423 deaths and 212,644 cases, Africa has 2,105 deaths from 54,944 cases, and Oceania 125 deaths from 8,245 cases.

Please note that due to corrections by national authorities or late publication of data, the figures updated over the past 24-hour period may not correspond exactly to the previous day’s tallies.

AFP

Source:

Share:

Thursday, May 7, 2020

I won’t be shocked if Aubameyang dumps Arsenal – Thierry Henry


Former Arsenal skipper, Thierry Henry, has said he will not be shocked if current captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang decides to leave Arsenal this summer.

Aubameyang, who has netted 17 times in the Premier League this season, has one year left on his current deal.

Talks over a new contract have not progressed quickly, with Real Madrid and Manchester United believed to be keeping tabs on the Gabon striker.

Arsenal’s hierarchy have made it clear they will now allow players to run down their contracts and are prepared to cash in on Aubameyang if he does not reach an agreement.

Henry is sympathetic to Aubameyang’s position and feels he needs to do what is right for his career, with Arsenal likely to miss out on Champions League football again next season.

“If you’re an Arsenal man you don’t want him to leave, but also the guy has a career and I don’t know what’s in his head or where he wants to go.

“But all I know is that we’re definitely going to miss his goals if he does leave.

“Because at the end of the day, I said it when I was at Sky, he was that kind of a “thing”. He does score goals and if you take the goals of Aubameyang away, it’s a tough one,” Henry said on Sky Sports.

Source:

Share:

Juventus Striker Dybala Recovers From COVID-19

Juventus star Paulo Dybala revealed Wednesday that he has been given the all-clear six weeks after contracting coronavirus, but Serie A rivals Torino confirmed that one of their players had tested positive.

“Many people talked in the past weeks … but I can finally confirm that I am healed. Thank you once again for your support and my thoughts on all who are still suffering from it. Take care,” tweeted the 26-year-old Argentina forward.

But city rivals Torino revealed that an unnamed player had been diagnosed with COVID-19 during testing of players and staff as Serie A teams return to individual training this week.

“During the first medical tests carried out on the Torino FC players, a positivity to COVID-19 emerged,” the northern club said in a statement.

“The football player, currently asymptomatic, was immediately placed in quarantine and will be constantly monitored.”

Torino have been one of the clubs to express concerns about a return to competition as Italy grapples with a pandemic which has killed nearly 30,000 people in the country.

Torino president Urbano Cairo this week conceded there were “divergent opinions” even if officially all 20 Serie A teams have backed completing the season suspended since March 10.

Dybala was one of three Juventus players to test positive along with Italy defender Daniele Rugani and France’s Blaise Matuidi.

Rugani was the first Italian top-flight footballer diagnosed with the virus on March 11. Both he and World Cup winner Matuidi recovered mid-April.

Dybala was diagnosed on March 22, along with his girlfriend Oriana, who recovered sooner from the disease.

Dybala on Wednesday also posted a picture of himself on Instagram with his arms outstretched looking at the sky: “My face says it all, I’m finally cured from Covid-19.”

Italian champions Juventus also confirmed that their Argentine star had recovered.

“Dybala performed, as per protocol, a double check with diagnostic tests (swabs) for Coronavirus-Covid 19, which came back with negative results,” Juventus said in a statement.

“The player has, therefore, recovered and will no longer be subjected to the home isolation regime.”

On Thursday, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) will meet the government’s Technical Scientific Committee to discuss the medical protocol for group training scheduled on May 18.

But sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora warned that it was “impossible to set a date” for a return to Serie A action before seeing how the contagion evolves over the coming weeks.

Source:

Share:

COVID-19: Almajiri system is dead in Kaduna – El-Rufai

The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has vowed to end the almajiri system of education in his state.

El-Rufai declared that almajiri system is dead in Kaduna State.

Speaking on Channels Television, the governor explained his government was determined to put an end to the system due to the spread of COVID-19.

He also disclosed that northern states governors were also determined to end the system in the region.

The governor stated that the system failed in the north and Nigeria generally.

According to El-Rufai, “We’ve been looking for the ways and means to end this system because it has not worked for the children, it has not worked for Northern Nigeria and it has not worked for Nigeria. So, it has to end and this is the time.

“If other northern governors are treating the issues with levity, that is their own business. But I can assure you that in Kaduna State, the almajiri’s system is dead.”

Recall that El-Rufai had said that Northern governors had agreed to the deportation of Almajiris from Northern States to their indigenous states.

Source:

Share:

offa indigenes

Subscribe to Offa247 News Alert

Enter your email address:

Disqus for www-offa247news-blogspot-com