APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate for Osun governorship election

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Electric Atmosphere As Bukola Saraki Returns Home To Ilorin

Senate President Bukola Saraki was given a rousing welcome in Ilorin, Kwara State as embarks on a courtesy visit.

#BBNaija Winner, Miracle Receives $25,000 Cash Gift From Gov. Okorocha In Owerri (Photos)

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Kwara gov. seeks tenure extension for Offa council chairman, councillors

Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara on Tuesday requested the State House of Assembly to approve the extension of the tenure of the Chairman and councillors of Offa Local Government Council.

Sport News

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry is quitting his job as a pundit for Sky Sports in order to focus on a career in management.

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Juventus Striker Dybala Recovers From COVID-19

Juventus star Paulo Dybala revealed Wednesday that he has been given the all-clear six weeks after contracting coronavirus, but Serie A rivals Torino confirmed that one of their players had tested positive.

“Many people talked in the past weeks … but I can finally confirm that I am healed. Thank you once again for your support and my thoughts on all who are still suffering from it. Take care,” tweeted the 26-year-old Argentina forward.

But city rivals Torino revealed that an unnamed player had been diagnosed with COVID-19 during testing of players and staff as Serie A teams return to individual training this week.

“During the first medical tests carried out on the Torino FC players, a positivity to COVID-19 emerged,” the northern club said in a statement.

“The football player, currently asymptomatic, was immediately placed in quarantine and will be constantly monitored.”

Torino have been one of the clubs to express concerns about a return to competition as Italy grapples with a pandemic which has killed nearly 30,000 people in the country.

Torino president Urbano Cairo this week conceded there were “divergent opinions” even if officially all 20 Serie A teams have backed completing the season suspended since March 10.

Dybala was one of three Juventus players to test positive along with Italy defender Daniele Rugani and France’s Blaise Matuidi.

Rugani was the first Italian top-flight footballer diagnosed with the virus on March 11. Both he and World Cup winner Matuidi recovered mid-April.

Dybala was diagnosed on March 22, along with his girlfriend Oriana, who recovered sooner from the disease.

Dybala on Wednesday also posted a picture of himself on Instagram with his arms outstretched looking at the sky: “My face says it all, I’m finally cured from Covid-19.”

Italian champions Juventus also confirmed that their Argentine star had recovered.

“Dybala performed, as per protocol, a double check with diagnostic tests (swabs) for Coronavirus-Covid 19, which came back with negative results,” Juventus said in a statement.

“The player has, therefore, recovered and will no longer be subjected to the home isolation regime.”

On Thursday, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) will meet the government’s Technical Scientific Committee to discuss the medical protocol for group training scheduled on May 18.

But sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora warned that it was “impossible to set a date” for a return to Serie A action before seeing how the contagion evolves over the coming weeks.

Source:

Share:

COVID-19: Almajiri system is dead in Kaduna – El-Rufai

The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has vowed to end the almajiri system of education in his state.

El-Rufai declared that almajiri system is dead in Kaduna State.

Speaking on Channels Television, the governor explained his government was determined to put an end to the system due to the spread of COVID-19.

He also disclosed that northern states governors were also determined to end the system in the region.

The governor stated that the system failed in the north and Nigeria generally.

According to El-Rufai, “We’ve been looking for the ways and means to end this system because it has not worked for the children, it has not worked for Northern Nigeria and it has not worked for Nigeria. So, it has to end and this is the time.

“If other northern governors are treating the issues with levity, that is their own business. But I can assure you that in Kaduna State, the almajiri’s system is dead.”

Recall that El-Rufai had said that Northern governors had agreed to the deportation of Almajiris from Northern States to their indigenous states.

Source:

Share:

Ogun Govt Discharges Six COVID-19 Patients


By  

Ogun State government has discharged six COVID-19 patients after they recovered and tested negative for the virus.

According to the state ministry of health, they were discharged on Wednesday from the Isolation centre in Ikenne after testing negative twice.

The six patients have since joined their families to continue living their normal lives. This brings the total number of discharged cases in the state to 20.

Meanwhile, four new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were announced in the State by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday.

This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the State to 95. Out of these 95, there are currently 73 active cases who are receiving treatment at isolation centres in the state.

The State Ministry of Health expressed the hope that as the days go by, more patients would be discharged, and urged the residents to continue to maintain social distancing as the use of face masks alone may not stop the spread of the infection.

Source:

Share:

US announces another $319m Abacha loot in UK, France


United States Embassy in Nigeria has announced that another $319m (N121bn) Sani Abacha, former Nigeria military dictator, loot is in the United Kingdom and France.

This comes about a week after Nigeria got $311 million Abacha Loot from the US and the Bailiwick of Jersey.

“The funds returned last week are distinct and separate from an additional $167m in stolen assets also forfeited in the United Kingdom and France, as well as $152m still in active litigation in the United Kingdom,” the embassy said in a statement on Wednesday.

It added that the United States will continue to help “combat corruption and to ensure a successful outcome in the return of these funds.”

It is unclear if the $152m litigation in the United Kingdom is the same with $152m (now $155m due to interest) being challenged by the UK and the US in a UK court.

The two countries are challenging its repatriation to Nigeria on the allegation that Nigerian government was planning to return $110 million of the money to Atiku Bagudu.

Bagudu, Kebbi state governor, was a financial adviser to the Abacha family.

The U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement in February that Bagudu was part of a network controlled by Abacha that “embezzled, misappropriated and extorted billions from the government of Nigeria.”

Bloomberg reported that President Muhammadu Buhari administration is seeking the approval of a UK court to take possession of the assets before transferring 70 percent of the proceeds to Bagudu under the terms of an agreement signed in 2018.

But Nigeria’s Attorney-General Abubakar Malami denied such deal with Bagudu never happened but court papers say otherwise.

Bloomberg reported in April that the UK government’s National Crime Agency is “opposing the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s application,” according to a motion filed by Bagudu’s brother, Ibrahim, to the District Court for the District of Columbia in the US capital on March 30.

Source:
Share:

Delta Community Residents Protest As Fulani Herdsmen Ambush, Kill Vigilante Leader, Member While Attending To Distress Call

Residents of Okpanam community under Oshimili South Local Government Area of Delta State and residents of Justice Estate along the Asaba-Benin Expressway on Thursday embarked on a peaceful protest over the killing of the community's vigilante chairman and a member by suspected Fulani herdsmen.

The angry protesters accused the Delta State governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, of treating the issues of Fulani herdsmen in the state with levity while Deltans were killed, kidnapped, maimed and raped on daily basis.

The vigilante chairman and a member of the Okpanam community vigilante were said to have been killed by the Fulani herdsmen around 9:00pm on Wednesday in a nearby bush after receiving a distress call by an unknown person. 

Speaking with SaharaReporters, a member of the community’s vigilante group, who simply identified himself as Uzor, revealed that the late chairman known as Emeka Chosen got a distress call at about 9:00pm on Wednesday that someone was kidnapped by Fulani herdsmen and responded.

He said, "Emeka Chosen received a distress call at about 9:00pm Wednesday that someone had been kidnapped by the Fulani herdsmen. Emeka and two other members of our vigilante group mobilised and entered the bush so as to rescue the victim.

"On arriving the bush and unknown to Emeka, the herdsmen had laid ambush for them and fired several gun shots at him and one of the vigilante members from behind. They died immediately while the third member narrowly escaped into the bush with bullet wounds.  Late Emeka Chosen

"The third vigilante member managed to make some emergency calls to other vigilante members that same night who mobilised to the bush but by then the Fulani herdsmen had escaped." 

Our correspondent reliably gathered that last month a man was killed while three persons were kidnapped by Fulani herdsmen at Justice Estate.

As at the time of filing this report, the two corpses have been retrieved and deposited at the mortuary.

Contacted on the issue, the Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, confirmed the incident.

"The information we earlier received was that someone was kidnapped and the vigilantes in Okpanam were alerted and they pursued the kidnappers.

“But because they were banned from carrying arms, the kidnappers laid ambush for them and shot two of them dead."

Source:

Share:

Friday, May 1, 2020

Farida Dankaka’s nomination refreshes storm over abuse of federal character principle


The nomination of Dr. Farida Muheeba Dankaka as chairman of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) by President Muhammadu Buhari has refreshed the controversy over the president’s perceived non-application of the principle of federal character in his key appointments.

The President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, had on Tuesday read the president’s letter seeking Senate approval for the nomination of Dankaka and 37 others as chairman and members of the commission, instituted by Section 14(3) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, to ensure that no section of the country dominates appointments to the federal government and its agencies.

Specifically, the section specifies: “The composition of the Government of the Federation or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such a manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity, and also to command national loyalty, thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of persons from a few states or from a few ethnic or other sectional groups in that government or in any of its agencies.”
FCC is saddled with the responsibility of enforcing this constitutional provision.

Dankaka’s nomination is said to be in conflict with this provision of the constitution on the ground that she is from Kwara State, Northern Nigeria, she ought not to have been so nominated because the secretary of the commission, Mr. Muhammad Tukur, is from Taraba State also from the North.

The critics’ argument is that this pattern of appointment negates the constitution, the enabling law and convention.

They refer to Section 4 of the enabling law, Federal Character Commission Act No 34 of 1996, to buttress their argument. It states: “Where the number of positions available cannot go round, the states of the federation or the Federal Capital, the distribution shall be on a zonal basis. But in the case where two positions are available, the positions shall be shared between the northern and southern zones.”

For them, the two principal positions are the chairman and secretary of the commission and by the spirit and letters of the law, they ought to be distributed between the North and the South.

They also summon convention as their witness, saying past administrations have maintained a balance in appointments between the two principal geo-political zones.

According to them, a brief history of the leadership of the commission shows that from 1996 till date, there have been lopsided appointments of the executive chairmen of the commission.

For instance, Alhaji Adamu Fika from Yobe in North-east; Alhaji Bello Kofabai from Katsina in the North-west and Professor Shuaibu Oba Abdul Raheem from Kwara in the North-central, have held the position since 1996.

In acting capacity, the chairmanship of the commission has been held by Alhaji Muhammadu Ari-Gwaska from North-central; Alhaji Ibrahim Funtua, from Katsina in the North-west; Alhaji Muhammad Alkali from Kebbi in North-west; Dr. Shettima Bukar Abba from Borno in the North-east; Mr. Abayomi Sheba from Ondo in the South-west, and Ambassador Shinkafi from Zamfara State, the current acting chairman whose tenure ended on April 20, 2020, after two terms in office is from the North-west. West.

It was gathered that during the period under review, the position of the substantive secretary was held by southerners, including Mr. A. O. Effenga from South-south; Mr. O. P Emerhan from South-south; Prof. Francis Durosinmi-Etti from South-west; and Mr. Rex-Ogbuku from South-south.

In acting capacity, Mr. David O. Fakeye from South-west and Mr. Jonas C. Umeh from South-east have also held the position.
The incumbent secretary is Tukur, who was appointed by Buhari in March 2017 for an initial tenure of four years, which would end in February 2021, is from Taraba State in the North-east.

Newsmen gathered that according to the principle of federal character, as contained in the Act governing the commission, leadership positions ought to be equally distributed between zones.

The implication, it was learnt, would be that the chairmanship position should, going by the principle of federal character and as stated in the constitution, automatically, go to the southern part of the country.

This North-South balance had been established by the presidency of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan who had appointed northerners as chairmen and southerners as secretaries.

“When Mr. President appointed Mohammed Bello Tukur, the Legal Adviser of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) as the secretary of the Federal Character Commission, many thought it was to pave the way for the first Southern chairman of the commission. That was not to be,” said a displeased senator who preferred anonymity, adding: “Instead in a rather brazen act, the penultimate Ag. Chairman, Mallam Shettima, rather than handover to a southern commissioner handed over to the secretary of the commission.”

The senator, who urged his colleagues not to confirm the nomination of the chairman of the commission, accused the Buhari administration of consistently violating “one of the most ingenious and ambitious affirmative actions entrenched in our constitution to promote national unity uniquely named federal character.”

“This consistent negation of a critical national consensus should be resisted and rejected by all well-meaning Nigerians starting from the Senate. The seeds of national discord have been systematically sowed over the past five years and should be halted,” he alleged.

The senator urged the Senate to defend the supremacy of the constitution and the need to build an inclusive state.
Buhari, in a letter dated 18th March 2020 to the President of the Senate, nominated Dankaka, a businesswoman, who was also a former president of Kaduna Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (KADCCIMA), as the chairperson of FCC and 37 others as members of the board.

The 37 members are Henry Ogbulogo, Salihu Bello, Obonganwan Ebong, Ibeabuchi Uche, Mohammed Tijjani, Tonye Okio, Silas Macikpah, Abba Monguno and Nsor Atamgba.

Others are Alims Agoda, Tobias Chukwuemeka (deceased), Imuetinyan Festus, Sesan Fatoba, Ginika Florence Tor, Hamza Mohammed, Diogu Uche, Lawan Roni and Hadiza Muazu.

Also appointed are Muhammad Na‘iya, Lawal Garba, Abubakar Bunu, Idris Bello, Daniel Kolo, Are Bolaji, Nasir Kwara, Maj. Gen. Suleiman Said (rtd) and Abiodun Akinlade.

Buhari also appointed Olufemi Omosanya, Adeoye Olalekan, Adeniyi Olowofela, Stephen Jings, Wokocha Augustine, Abdullahi Tafida, Armaya’u Abubakar, Jibril Maigari, Sani Garba and Adamu Sidi-Ali.

The appointment was contained in a letter, which was read out by Lawan, at plenary on Tuesday.

Source:

Share:

May Day: Gov. Abdulrazaq reiterates commitment to workers’ welfare


Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has congratulated workers in the state on the occasion of another May Day, reiterating that they deserve the best and would always have his ears.

“I stand in solidarity with the workers across the world especially in Kwara State where our administration has been consistent in listening to them, creating a better working atmosphere, and protecting their dignity and professionalism,” AbdulRazaq said in a statement by his media spokesman Rafiu Ajakaye.

“Whatever the circumstances, we will make sure to always cater for the workers within the limit allowed by resources and demand for collective sacrifice in the midst of global economic meltdown. The constant and timely salary payments, purchase of modern tools and vehicles, and restoration of running cost for optimal service delivery are just a few examples in this regard. While the days ahead promise to be tough for every segment of the society in the face of sharp reduction in revenues, our administration will not be found wanting in showing sympathy to the plight of workers, be they in the formal or informal sector.”

The Governor commended the workers and their umbrella bodies for their support and understanding since his inauguration last year May 29.

He urged the workers and their unions to keep faith with the administration in its efforts to not just catering for them but also putting in place the necessary infrastructure to allow for a decent work environment and an economy that would make life a lot better for all.

Rafiu Ajakaye
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
May 1, 2020.

Share:

offa indigenes

Subscribe to Offa247 News Alert

Enter your email address:

Disqus for www-offa247news-blogspot-com