APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate for Osun governorship election

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Electric Atmosphere As Bukola Saraki Returns Home To Ilorin

Senate President Bukola Saraki was given a rousing welcome in Ilorin, Kwara State as embarks on a courtesy visit.

#BBNaija Winner, Miracle Receives $25,000 Cash Gift From Gov. Okorocha In Owerri (Photos)

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Kwara gov. seeks tenure extension for Offa council chairman, councillors

Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara on Tuesday requested the State House of Assembly to approve the extension of the tenure of the Chairman and councillors of Offa Local Government Council.

Sport News

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry is quitting his job as a pundit for Sky Sports in order to focus on a career in management.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Celebrities, Nigerians Mourn Dancer ‘Kodak’


Love Divine Picture courtesy: [email protected]

Tributes have continued to pour in from Nigerians and celebrities following the death of dancer, Love Divine, popularly known as Kodak.

Kodak died on Wednesday, April 29, 2020, in Lagos State.

There are speculations that she died from electrocution but as at the time of this report, neither her management, Westsyde Lifestyle, nor family, has released a statement about the circumstances that led to her death.

Hip-hop artist, Olamide Oladeji, was among Nigerian celebrities who took to social media to mourn Kodak.

Olamide posted a photo of himself and the dancer, and captioned it, “Rest up Kodak.”

View this post on Instagram

🕯

A post shared by Olamidé(@olamide) on 

Also, dancer Kaffy posted candlelight and wrote, “This is so sad,” mourning Kodak.

On her part, dancer Korra Obidi who posted a video of the late Kodak said her demise is shocking and described her as a selfless person.
“RIP Legend. @picturekodak,” she wrote on Instagram. “Someone please wake me up. This must be a dream. Electrocuted? This cannot be real Please DM and tell me everything is ok! You were the most selfless person I ever worked with. Omg, I can’t breathe! #RIP #LOVEDIVINE”.


Other Nigerians took to Twitter to also express shock at the death of the late dancer whom they described as energetic, saying the development is a great loss to the nation’s showbiz.

Kodak, until her death, worked with several musicians like Burna Boy, Olamide and a host of others.


Source:


Share:

Libya's unity government says rejects Haftar's truce offer


This image grab taken from a video published by the War Information Division of military strongman Khalifa Haftar’s self-proclaimed Libyan National Army (LNA) on April 28, 2020 shows Haftar giving a speech, saying he had “a popular mandate” to govern the country, declaring a key 2015 political deal over and vowing to press his assault to seize Tripoli. – In a speech on his Libya al-Hadath TV channel, Haftar said his self-styled Libyan “army” was “proud to be mandated with the historic task” of leading Libya. He did not make clear whether an elected parliament in the country’s east, a signatory to the deal, backed his move — or what its future role would be. Haftar has so far drawn his legitimacy from the administration based in the country’s east, and last April his forces launched an assault to seize the capital Tripoli, in the west, from the Government of National Accord. (Photo by – / LNA War Information Division / AFP) / 

Libya’s UN-recognised government Thursday rejected a truce unilaterally called the day before by military strongman Khalifa Haftar, saying it “did not trust” the announcement made by its eastern-based rival.

The Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) said in a statement that it will continue in its “legitimate defence”, attacking “any threat where it exists and putting an end to outlaw groups”.

It was referring to forces loyal to Haftar, who launched an offensive on the capital in April last year.

Haftar said Wednesday his forces would cease hostilities for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which began on April 24, following international calls for a truce in the war-torn country.

“The commander-general announces the halting of military operations from his side,” said Ahmad al-Mesmari, a spokesman for Haftar — who controls the east and swathes of southern Libya — from the city of Benghazi.

However, the fighting did not stop in Tripoli after Mesmari’s announcement, with explosions still heard from the centre of the capital, according to an AFP correspondent.

Since fighting began in April 2019, several ceasefires between Haftar’s forces and the GNA have fallen through, with both sides accusing the other of violations.

“These violations make it so we do not trust truce announcements (from Haftar),” the GNA said in its statement.

Any “ceasefire needs to have international safeguards and mechanisms” to monitor its implementation and to document violations, the GNA added.

Last week, the UN, EU and several countries called for both sides to lay down their arms during the holy month.

Haftar’s announcement came after his forces suffered a series of setbacks in recent weeks, with GNA forces ousting them from two key coastal cities west of Tripoli.

The North African nation has been gripped by chaos since the 2011 ouster and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi, with rival administrations in the east and west vying for power.

Source:


Share:

He 'Has No History Of Travel To High-Risk States' - More Details Emerge About Yobe's Coronavirus Index Case



File photo

The index COVID-19 case in Yobe State has no history of contact with a suspected or confirmed case and no history of travel to high-risk states, an official of the state government has said.

Idi Gubana, the Chairman of the state Committee on Covid-19 and also the deputy governor, disclosed this while briefing journalists in Damaturu.

Mr Gubana said the confirmed case is a 29 year-old-man who developed symptoms on April 23 and presented himself at the State Specialist Hospital, Damaturu, with complaints of fever, sore throat, and cough.

“The patient is single and resides with his parents in Damaturu. He has no history of contact with suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 and no history of travel to high risk states,”
 he said.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Wednesday night added Yobe to the list of states with cases of COVID-19, bringing Nigeria’s total confirmed cases to 1,728.

Mr Gubana urged residents of the state to remain calm and observe all professional advice.

“The State COVID-19 Committee is working assiduously to contain the situation. Members of the public are strongly advised to adhere with all the prevention and control measures.

“Which include social and physical distancing, personal and environmental hygiene and respiratory etiquettes,” he said.

Mr Gubana said the committee had embarked on aggressive contact tracing, environmental disinfection as well as sensitisation and awareness creation to prevent spread of coronavirus in the state.

Source:


Share:

Mc Oluomo’s Mother Dies At 87



The Lagos state chairman of the National Road Transport Worker(NURTW), Musuliu Akinsanya also known as MC  Oluomo has lost his mother, Alhaja Abebi Zinat Omotonwo at the age of 87.
This was made known by his media and publicity team on Thursday.

The team also asked the general public to stay away from coming to pay condolence visits to the popular figure as a result of the ban on large gathering.
“We appreciate and understand that there are so many people who would have loved to pay their last respect to our late Mother Alhaja Abebi Zinat Omotonwo but will be unable to do so due to the present ban on large gatherings.
“Please no visitation is allowed, for now, phone call or text messages will be appreciated. Thanks for your understanding and Cooperation”.




Share:

Buhari extends tenure of NDDC interim committee, orders commission to support fight against COVID-19 with N6.250bn


President Muhammadu Buhari, on Thursday, extended the tenure of the Professor Keme Pondei-led Interim Management Committee of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) from May 1 to December 31, 2020.

A statement signed by Buhari’s Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said the extension was to cover the period of the forensic audit of the NDDC, earlier approved by the Federal Executive Council, under the chairmanship of the President.

Buhari also approved that the NDDC provides intervention support to complement efforts of the Federal and state governments against further spread of COVID-19 in the nine States of the Niger Delta region, in the sum of N6.250bn.

The materials and supplies are to be done through Emergency Procurement method as provided in Sections 42(b) (c) and 43 of the Public Procurement Act, 2007.


Source:
Share:

Horror As Five Family Members Die Mysteriously In Enugu



Dead man

File photo

There is serious panic in Enugu following the tragic death of five family members in mysterious circumstance at their family house at Amaokpo, Nike, Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State.

TheNation gathered that the family of Onyekwere Chukwumalu of Eziowelle, Idemili Local Government Area of Anambra, it was gathered, went to sleep on Monday night but was discovered dead on Wednesday morning with their body peeling off, an indication that they might have died of a chemical or generator fume.

It was also gathered that nobody knew of their death until somebody who worked with late Mr. Chukwumalu, a building contractor, went to look for him on appointment but found the house locked but his vehicle was parked outside.

He was forced to move closer to discover that the family was lying down dead in one heap as the late Chukwumalu was said to have held his family together as if they were praying.

It was further gathered that the incident attracted the neighbourhood, who contributed money to break into the house to bring out the corpses.

It was equally gathered that the police at Abakpa Nike, the Chairman of Enugu East, Hon. Alex Ugwu and the UN rescue mission went to the place to see things for themselves Wednesday evening.

It was also gathered that in the process of bringing out the corpses that one of the man’s children, Arinze, 10, shouted Jesus and was later rushed to UNTH, Ituku-Ozala, where he is said to be responding to treatment.

Speaking to newsmen Thursday at the National Orthopedic Hospital, Enugu where the corpses of the deceased were kept, the South East Zonal Commander of the United Nations Rescue team, Emmanuel Okoye said that somebody informed them about the incident that a man and his family was killed and they went to the scene.

Okoye told newsmen that they helped to take the corpses to the mortuary since the police was nowhere to be found at the time the rescue team went to the scene.

Contacted, the Chairman of Enugu East Local Government Area, Hon. Alex Ugwu said that late Chukwumalu was a good person and wondered how he would die in that manner.

He attributed his death to a possible food poisoning since there was no generator to suggest that it could be as a result of fumes from exhaust.

“When I heard about the incident, I alerted the police and the Ministry of Health to take charge. It was when the officials if the Ministry of Health were trying to evacuate the corpse that one of the man’s children sneezed and was discovered to be alive and was rushed to the hospital,” he said.

Efforts to get the police comment on the incident yielded little dividend as the police spokesman, Daniel Ndukwe Ekea, said that he was not aware of the incident but that he would “get back to me.”

Source:


Share:

Woman Slumps, Dies While Urinating In Ekiti

woman identified as Victoria Yemisi Omoare has slumped and died after alighting from a car to urinate at a place close to the abattoir, along the Ekiti State University Road in Ado Ekiti.

The driver of the vehicle, Orimaye Oluwafemi said to be a lecturer in the Faculty of Agricultural Science, Ekiti State University said he was going to EKSU with the woman when the incident occurred.

According to Oluwafemi, he was going to the school to fetch some waterleaf in his farm and withdraw some money through ATM when the woman who was staying at his residence and another student there, opted to follow him.

The lecturer said he decided to stop by the road to take a photograph of a particular tree he could use for a thesis he was writing that the deceased decided to use the opportunity to urinate in a nearby bush.

According to the Ekiti State University lecture, having waited for Omoare to return for about five minutes, he with the student in his car went to check on the woman only to discover that she had slumped and died.

He revealed also that the deceased who was a 59year-old from Akoko was a teacher at Adegbola Memorial High School, Akure in Ondo state and had been staying with his family in Ado Ekiti before coronavirus case was confirmed in Ekiti, though he didn’t know any of her family members.

He remarked that the unmarried woman just finished her PHD course and recently complained about abdominal pain the second day after she finished fasting for three days.

Some medical experts and security officers who visited the scene of the incident claimed that though, the death may not be traceable to COVID-19 pandemic, autopsy would be carried out on the corpse to ascertain the health condition that claimed the life of the woman.

Source:
Share:

offa indigenes

Subscribe to Offa247 News Alert

Enter your email address:

Disqus for www-offa247news-blogspot-com