APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate for Osun governorship election

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Electric Atmosphere As Bukola Saraki Returns Home To Ilorin

Senate President Bukola Saraki was given a rousing welcome in Ilorin, Kwara State as embarks on a courtesy visit.

#BBNaija Winner, Miracle Receives $25,000 Cash Gift From Gov. Okorocha In Owerri (Photos)

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Kwara gov. seeks tenure extension for Offa council chairman, councillors

Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara on Tuesday requested the State House of Assembly to approve the extension of the tenure of the Chairman and councillors of Offa Local Government Council.

Sport News

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry is quitting his job as a pundit for Sky Sports in order to focus on a career in management.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Kwara State Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq attended flag off ceremony of Ilorin Emirate palliatives distribution to 10,000 Beneficiaries

The Kwara state Governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq earlier today attended the flag off ceremony of Ilorin Emirate palliatives distribution to 10,000 beneficiaries to assuage the hardship occasioned by the lockdown with a view to containing the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.


The Governor whose father is the Mutawali of Ilorin since assuming office last May has actively participated in all the functions of Ilorin Emirate Descendants’ Progressive Union (IEDPU) with all sense of responsibility and pride as a proud son of the soil.

AbdulRazaq, who recently commended the action of the Offa community for their own efforts, encouraged other community-based organisations to take a cue from IEDPU to consolidate the efforts of the government to help the vulnerable members of the society during this period.

Share:

Monday, April 27, 2020

Nigeria needs comprehensive action plan – Dr. Ajileye


lab
The Nigeria government has been advised to come up with a comprehensive action plan with proper coordination, sincerity and adequate funding to tackle the spread of the coronavirus pandemic in the country before it gets out of hand.

The action plan must encourage local production of standardised medical needs, improved Public-Private Partnership and increased testing.

A United Kingdom-based Nigerian medical doctor and a member of the New Generation Leadership, NGL, Dr Ajileye Omoniyi, gave this advice while speaking on the theme, “the decay, the exodus and now the pandemic” on the forum of the NGL, aimed at discussing and creating solutions to Nigeria’s health challenges at this time.

The medical expert who observed that the decay in the Nigerian health care sector had been festering for decades, said it was a reflection of the larger society where poor planning, corruption, incompetence, nepotism and an inefficient system has clogged the wheels of progress.

Dr Omoniyi said, “no progressive nation would take its healthcare system for granted, stressing that all serious nations, need a healthy citizenry to ensure that productivity is maximized and the future generations are guaranteed a solid future”.

He, however, noted that Nigeria had not always been in such a precarious ledge in terms of decay in its health care delivery system, because before independence, the nation already had formidable hospitals like the University College Hospital, Ibadan in the late ’50s with several other colleges of medicine from the University of Lagos, Ahmadu Bello University, University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), and the University of Benin which were already established by 1975, with progressive health Ministers like the late Prof Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, who strived to make qualitative healthcare available to every Nigerian.

Dr Omoniyi said it was disheartening to note that by the year 2020, “Nigeria is rated 187th out of 191 nations in terms of health care delivery worldwide and ranked in the bottom 5 in terms of worst infant mortality and maternal mortality”.

According to him, the World Health Organisation, WHO, the recommendation is for nations to spend at least 5% of its GDP on health care, but with of little priority in the Nigeria budget allocations, the decay has sunk to an all-time low, leading to crumbling infrastructure, outdated medical equipment and healthcare personnel exodus, with an estimated N358 billion spent on medical tourism by Nigerians last year.

These Dr Omoniyi said has led healthcare professionals to take matters in their own hands and seek socio-economic fulfilment elsewhere, creating a brain drain which is having its toll on the Nation which has not been able to match the Global benchmark which recommends a doctor to patient ratio of 1:1000.

He said, it was time for government at all tiers to address the decay in the health sector, with the arrival of the coronavirus pandemic which has further exposed the inadequacies, saying “in less than one month, the number of confirmed positive cases has jumped from 20 to over 1000 thereby highlighting the large deficit in our health delivery system”.

“Our leaders need to wake up to the realisation that coronavirus isn’t going anywhere, we cannot be doing things the same way and expect a different result. While Private hospitals are shutting their doors due to lack of adequate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), diagnostic centres are also shutting their doors to even cater to non-covid-19 emergencies”.

“While I would give high praise to the Lagos state government for their proactive stance and efforts done so far in the state, more needs to be done, If and when patients with the more severe respiratory compromise start to come, it will only be a matter of time before our fragile healthcare system is totally overwhelmed”

Dr Omoniyi thereby called on the Nigerian government to ensure proper coordination among all tiers of government while liaising with the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC and the federal ministry of health to provide guidelines and a comprehensive action plan which would include Community heads, religious leaders, NGO’s and other stakeholders with adequate funding which must be made available in a quick and transparent manner with accountability and keys area targeted for maximal impact.

He enjoined the government to work on key areas like infrastructure (mobile and hospital testing), training, publicity, provision of standardized PPE and also social welfare with improved and increased Testing.

Dr Omoniyi also advised that local industries must be encouraged to produce standardized equipment and disposable PPE (facemask, scrubs, gloves, apron, goggles, etc), hand sanitizers and cleaning agents while Public and private partnership must be looked into saying “Private hospitals are normally the first port of call for most people in the country when they become unwell, so the involvement of private hospitals cannot be overemphasised”.

Source:

Share:

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Bethann Hardison on Observing Ramadan in the Age of Social Distancing

Bethann Hardison on Observing Ramadan in the Age of Social Distancing

Although I grew up in an muslim household from the age of 12, I don’t consider myself to be a practicing muslim. That said, Ramadan is the one thing I do observe now. Many people think of it only as a time of fasting, but it’s much more than that. As the most sacred month on the Islamic calendar, Ramadan is supposed to be about kindness and giving back, a moment to share with others. Our own sense of conscious enlightenment comes into play as well. It’s not just about generosity towards others, it’s about being generous with oneself. In these uncertain times, that’s something we can all relate to.

Typically, muslim families come together to celebrate during Ramadan, which began on Thursday, though sadly many will be celebrating at a distance this year. It’s something that I’ve personally tended to observe in a solitary way, at least as an adult. I will likely spend the duration of the holy month here in my home in upstate New York where I’ve been since March 13. I made the journey to Saugerties with my friend Iman, who has a house close by.

Source:

Share:

Latest Style

Add caption
Share:

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Missouri is suing China over coronavirus


corona virus

Missouri is suing the Chinese government and other top institutions for the role they played in the coronavirus pandemic and the effects it has had on the state, accusing the country of covering up information, silencing whistleblowers and doing little to stop the spread of the disease, Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt announced Tuesday.

At least 6,105 people have been confirmed to have the virus in Missouri and at least 229 have died, according to numbers from Johns Hopkins University.
Schmitt, in his official role as attorney general of Missouri, filed the civil lawsuit in federal court in the eastern district of Missouri.
    The lawsuit, the first of its kind, claims "Chinese authorities deceived the public, suppressed crucial information, arrested whistleblowers, denied human-to-human transmission in the face of mounting evidence, destroyed critical medical research, permitted millions of people to be exposed to the virus, and even hoarded personal protective equipment—thus causing a global pandemic that was unnecessary and preventable."
    Legal experts have said the lawsuit faces an uphill battle because China is protected by sovereign immunity. CNN is reaching out to the Chinese government for comment.
    Missouri's lawsuit alleges that while the Chinese medical community had indications of human-to-human transmission of the virus, they did not inform the World Health Organization when they first reported the outbreak.
    It also alleges Chinese leaders did little to curb spread of the virus, still allowing thousands of people to travel to and out of Wuhan.
    "In mid-January, on or around January 16, despite knowing the risks of doing so, Wuhan leaders hosted a potluck dinner for 40,000 residents, increasing the potential spread of the virus," it says. "Defendants allowed these massive public gatherings and massive exodus from Wuhan despite knowing the risks of COVID-19, including the risk of human-to-human transmission."
    The filing also outlines how officials initially cracked down on medical professionals who posted information about the virus, including Dr. Li Wenliang, who was accused of rumor-mongering by the Wuhan police after sharing information about a new illness with his medical school alumni group. Wenliang later died of the virus.
    The state also alleges China hoarded PPE while concealing the outbreak and that the small amounts they have released have been "faulty."
      Those, among other actions taken by Chinese officials had a massive toll on human life and health and has led to "enormous" economic disruptions across the world, according to the lawsuit.
      "Before the pandemic, Missouri had one of its lowest unemployment rates of the past decade, but on information and belief, Missouri's unemployment rate is now the highest it has been since the Great Depression," the suit claims. "Responding to the pandemic has required shutting down businesses, disrupting ordinary production and trade, and dislocating workers.
      Source: CNN
      Share:

      Friday, January 10, 2020

      Fashion Style

      Share:

      2Baba, Davido, Others Shut Down Anambra Concert


      In an effort to bring fans closer to their favourite celebrities, popular event and club manager, Cubana Chief Priest brought together Flavour, Davido, Peruzzi, 2Baba and other top artistes to deliver electric performances recently in Anambra State.

      The South-eastern state regularly enjoys the visit of A Listers who come to perform their hit songs to the admiration of the fans.


      Share:

      offa indigenes

      Subscribe to Offa247 News Alert

      Enter your email address:

      Disqus for www-offa247news-blogspot-com