APC to adopt direct primary to pick candidate for Osun governorship election

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Electric Atmosphere As Bukola Saraki Returns Home To Ilorin

Senate President Bukola Saraki was given a rousing welcome in Ilorin, Kwara State as embarks on a courtesy visit.

#BBNaija Winner, Miracle Receives $25,000 Cash Gift From Gov. Okorocha In Owerri (Photos)

The winner of BBNaija 2018, Miracle who was promised a cash gift and land by the Imo State Governor shortly after the end of the show, has finally received it.

Kwara gov. seeks tenure extension for Offa council chairman, councillors

Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara on Tuesday requested the State House of Assembly to approve the extension of the tenure of the Chairman and councillors of Offa Local Government Council.

Sport News

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry is quitting his job as a pundit for Sky Sports in order to focus on a career in management.

Friday, July 27, 2018

Offa robbery: Court summons IG of Police Idris

An Ilorin High Court has summoned the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to appear before it next Wednesday to justify the continued detention of Lekan Alabi, Personal Assistant to Kwara state Governor Abdulfattah Ahmed, who was arrested over the April 5, 2018 armed robbery in Offa.


This followed protest by lead counsel to the suspect, Adelodun Ibrahim, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN).


He bemoaned the failure of the police to release another suspect over the same incident, Alhaji Babatunde AbdulWahab, the Chief of Staff to the governor, who has been granted bail by another high court in the state.


Adelodun, leading four other lawyers, told newsmen after Thursday’s proceeding that the refusal of the police to obey the court order on AbdulWahab was worrisome as it portends grave dangers to the deepening of democracy and might lead to a loss of confidence in the fairness of the police to handle such cases among the populace.


The police was not represented at the proceeding although Adelodun told the court they had been served all the processes relating to the case. The case was brought to Ilorin following the refusal of a Federal High court in Abuja to hear it as the alleged crime was committed in Kwara state.


Alabi has been in detention since May 28, 2018 and has not been arraigned before any court of law, a development his counsel, Adelodun, argued is in contravention of the provisions of Order 4, Rules 3 and 4 of the Fundamental Rights enforcement procedure rules (2009) as well as Sections 34, 35, 36, 37, 41 And 46 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.


In his ruling, Justice Adebayo Yusuf said there was nothing in the constitution that allows the detention of a suspect without trial for a period beyond 24 hours where there is a court or 48 hours in environment where there is no court.


“The position of the law is as stated by the leaned silk, however I’m inclined to hear from the respondent to come to court and show cause why the applicant should not be released from their custody, since they have been served the motion on notice,” the judge said, adding that it is clear that the police cannot change the constitution.


Adelodun, had while moving the application, pointed out that the detention of the applicant for 60 days without trial is a prima facie case of a breach of his rights to liberty as enshrined in section 35 (7) of the constitution and pointed out that Section 122 of the Evidence Act empowers the court to take judicial notice of the time involved in the exchange of written addresses and affidavit by parties which can compound the suffering of the applicant.


“We are not asking the court to declare our client guilty or innocent at this stage but the police has no right to keep a suspect forever”, he said citing the decision of the Appeal Court in the case of EFCC vs Akingbola, (2015 NWLR p1470,pgh249,pp290) to buttress his submission,” Adelodun said.

Source



Share:

What Buhari told outgoing French ambassador, Gauer


President Muhammadu Buhari Friday in Abuja lauded the Republic of France for its commitment to strong regional cooperation in the fight against cross-border crime and terrorism.

Speaking at a farewell audience with the outgoing Ambassador of France to Nigeria, Denys Gauer, President Buhari appreciated the roles and contributions of the French government to peace, security and stability in countries in the West and Central African region.

The President noted that Nigeria has placed the issue of combating terrorism in the region on international agenda and has received support and solidarity from France in the area of training, information, intelligence sharing, technical and equipment support.

According to the President, at the regional level where Nigeria is conducting joint patrols with neighbouring countries under the Multinational Joint Task Force, France has continued to encourage regional cooperation among Nigeria’s francophone neighbours aimed at addressing the security challenges and humanitarian conditions in the area.

The President also used the opportunity of the farewell visit to formally congratulate France for winning the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

“The victory is very important and historic for the country and I think it has raised a lot of positive optimism for French citizens,” he said.

In his remarks, the French Ambassador, harping on the positive trends in Nigeria’s economy, said more French companies have indicated interest to do business here.

He said the French Agency for Development (AFD) which opened an office in Nigeria ten years ago, has provided a total of 2 billion dollars facility for projects in the country.

On cultural ties, Gauer said France has concluded arrangements to establish a cinema school in Lagos and some museums around the country in addition to formalizing an agreement on film production.

The Ambassador said he would always keep fond memories of Nigeria and wished the country successful elections in 2019.

Source


Share:

CAC pastor who dupes members for visa, immigration jobs arrested

Abidoun James, the founder of the Christ Apostolic Church, Freedom International City parish, Akure in Ondo State, has been arrested for alleged fraud.
James was arrested on Thursday by men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) after defrauding one Mrs. Folasade Olukunini and some other members of his Church.
Awili Pedro, the Commandant of the NSCDC in Ondo State, confirmed the incident while parading the prophet on Thursday.
He told newsmen that the culprit duped Mrs. Olukinni to the tune of N 1.7million with a promise to secure a visa for her son to the United States.
He noted that the “prophet of doom”, who had been into the business of duping people for years, also has his spiritual way of defrauding people who approach him for cleansing.
“Prophet Adeniyi, earlier this year brought a man to his Church and introduced him to his congregation as Olamilekan Omole, whom he claimed was going to be his Personal Assistant.
“Some months later, he introduced this same man as a travelling agent and asked people to always contact him for their travel business.
“Olukinni approached the prophet to pray for her son who had the plans to travel abroad. After the prayer, this same prophet introduced the woman to Omole. They began the necessary procedure and she paid a sum of N1.7million to his account and since then the PA ran away,” he said.
Pedro added that Prophet James was apprehended due to complaints from victims.
“Several members of the church had come forward to testify about the escapades of the fake prophet.
“In fact, some youths claimed that the Prophet also promised to secure Immigration jobs for them for various charges ranging from N4m to N5m,” Pedro added.

Share:

Transfer: Chelsea tell AC Milan amount to pay for MorataSports

Chelsea and AC Milan have opened talks over a deal for striker Alvaro Morata.
However, the West London outfit told the Serie A giants they want £62m for the Spaniard.
Morata joined Chelsea in a club record £58m deal from Real Madrid last summer but struggled during his debut campaign in England.
Morata joined Chelsea to work with former boss Antonio Conte and Maurizio Sarri’s appointment has increased the likelihood of him leaving Stamford Bridge this summer.
Sarri wants to bring in Juventus star Gonzalo Higuain, having worked with the Argentine at Napoli.
Sky Sports reports that their willingness to sell Morata, Chelsea will not let him go on the cheap and have placed a price tag of £62m on the forward.
Milan’s new sporting director Leonardo is believed to have initiated talks with Chelsea and believes Morata is keen on a return to Italy.
Milan, though, are already facing scrutiny over their £200m spending spree last summer and are unlikely to have the means to stretch to Chelsea’s valuation.
Morata’s future is likely to depend on Chelsea’s chances of signing Higuain in the next fortnight but the Blues know Juventus are keen to sell having spent £99m on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Share:

Ibadan residents lament armed robbery, insecurity as Tech-U VC denies owning Ire-Akari estate home

Six weeks after the forceful occupation of about 250 houses in Ire Akari Estate, Soka Ibadan by hoodlums, residents of the estate have cried out over increasing insecurity and incessant armed robbery in the neighbourhood by the hoodlums.
The residents, while addressing journalists on Thursday, lamented that lives and property were no longer safe in the estate as residents were being attacked by thugs both day and night if they failed to part with money.
DAILY POST learnt that about 7,000 residents live in the estate which contained over 250 buildings.
The siege was said to have affected the houses of some prominent individuals including the President, Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Mr Waheed Odusile and the Vice Chancellor of Technical University, Oyo state, Professor Ayobami Salami.
Salami has however explained that he did not own any building in the troubled estate and that he has never lived in any buildings in the said location.
The VC, who spoke through Mr. Femi Babatunde, Public Relations Officer of the university in a statement sent to DAILY POST, said although the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Prof. Adesola Ajayi once lived in the said estate in an apartment rented personally, he had since relocated from the estate.
Babatunde, who issued the statement on behalf of the VC, said, “With respect to this and for the records, I wish to state as follows:
“That there is no truth in the claim that the Vice Chancellor, Professor Ayobami Salami, is one of the victims of the said attack at Ire Akari Estate, Soka, Ibadan.
“That the VC does not own and has never lived in any building in the said location.
“That although, the Deputy Vice Chancellor, Professor Adesola Ajayi once lived in the said Estate in an apartment he rented personally, he has since relocated from the area. Even at that, the house in which Professor Ajayi once lived was not affected by the said incident.
“I count on your prompt action on the above.”
DAILY POST gathered that trouble started about two months ago when three families of Chief Emmanuel Ashamu, Chief Femi Majekodumi, Oyenike Ogunsola and late Ganiyu Bello reportedly secured a Supreme Court judgment ceding part of the 30-year-old estate to them.
Chairman, Ire Akari Estate Landlord Association, Engr Adetunji Adelani, who spoke on behalf of residents on Thursday, stated the security situation in the estate has worsened as residents now live under fear.
He said all efforts to bring peace have proved abortive as hoodlums now break into people’s homes at will.
Adelani, who called on well-meaning Nigerians to rescue them from the hands of the hoodlums, declared that over 85 per cent of the affected property were sold to them by the families that secured the judgment.
He said, “We have been to the state governor Abiola Ajimobi, the Olubadan palace and held meetings with the families that owned the land according to the judgment. And we have agreed to pay N200,000 which at least over 99 out of the 250 house owners have started paying . Yet, the hoodlums have refused to let us have peace.
“Many have started relocating from the estate while some have even died of shock since this crisis started. We are forced to be paying money before we can go out of the estate as the thugs have taken over the whole place. That is why we are appealing to the President, Muhammadu Buhari to help us because we don’t want anarchy in this estate.”

Share:

Tragedy in Ngige’s hometown as policeman kills colleague


An unidentified policeman has killed his colleague, an operative of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) in Alor, Idemili South local government area of Anambra State.

DAILY POST gathered that the policeman, who was on duty as guard at a private residence not too far from the home of the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, opened fire on his colleague who had come to effect the arrest of an indigene, after he was contacted.

A source in the community said the SARS operative was in the community to arrest a suspect at around 4am, but just as he was whisking the suspect away, the police officer who was guarding a nearby residence was contacted with false alarm by people in the neighbourhood who told him that kidnappers had struck and were taking away a victim.

This prompted him to shoot at the supposed kidnapper, killing him instantly.

The source told DAILY POST, “He (the deceased) accompanied one of his colleagues to somebody’s residence for an arrest at about 4.30am.

“They were handcuffing their suspect when somebody who did not know that they were SARS operatives alerted some policemen on guard in a private residence in the neighborhood that kidnappers were trying to abduct someone.

“As soon as the policemen arrived the scene and saw the SARS operatives, they opened fire at them and gunned down the deceased. It was minutes after that his colleagues identified him as a SARS operative on special duty,” the source stated.

The Officer-In-charge of SARS at Awkuzu, Sunday Okpe, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview, saying the deceased was one of his subordinates.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Haruna Mohammed, did not pick the call put across to him by our correspondent for confirmation of the story, neither did he reply a text message sent to him for the same purpose.

Source


Share:

Disappearance of six-year-old pupil sparks tension in Delta community


Tension has griped Obiaruku community in Ukwuani Local Government Area of Delta state following the disappearance of a six-year-old male pupil, Onai (not real name), during the graduation ceremony of his school in the community on Wednesday.

It was gathered that while the private school in Obiaruku community held its graduation ceremony, a driver of the school bus was asked to go and bring Onai and other pupils from Umukwata community for the ceremony but the boy ended up not being found among the pupils brought to the school by the driver.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Andrew Aniamaka, who confirmed the incident to DAILY POST, said, “the father of the missing boy was contacted. Immediately the matter was reported to the police, a search party was conducted to no avail. We have arrested the driver who at present is helping the police for further investigation.”

But sources disclosed that since the report of the incident, tension has heightened in the area as most parents have refused their children from attending graduation ceremony.

While speaking with our correspondent, the father of the missing boy, Mr Patrick Ebiereh said, “I suspect a ritual murder. Why was it only my son who did not get to the school? The driver has more to tell the police. I will get to the root if the police failed. I will employ other means to uncover who took my son away.”

Unconfirmed sources say the driver was allegedly involved in a similar act last year when he reportedly knocked down a 4-year-old male pupil trying to cross the road, and took him into the vehicle, and drove away. He was however caught by onlookers while allegedly attempting to dump the victim in the bush for fear that he had died.

The Director of the school, Mrs. Felia Azah confirmed to DAILY POST that investigation was ongoing, adding that the driver was handed over to the police for further interrogation.

Assuring that the police will do everything possible to recover the missing boy, Aniamaka said, “a 32-year-old lady has been missing too in Osubi area in Warri. The missing lady went to work on Wednesday and did not return. We are searching for her seriously, since July 20,2018. The situation is becoming terrible, but the police will continue to do its best.”

In last few weeks, no fewer than thirteen persons were reported to have been missing, ten of them are pupils while three others were adults who are feared to have been used for ritual activities.

Source


Share:

offa indigenes

Subscribe to Offa247 News Alert

Enter your email address:

Disqus for www-offa247news-blogspot-com